Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Joy and Pain

Family is a blessing....when one can stand in a room and see three generations of family..its a blessing of the highest order. I spent Sunday evening watching my God-daughter play with her cousins and friends as we celebrated one more year of her contribution to this world. Seeing siblings and couples relax in the cool night air and friends labrish about their children's latest achievements brought warmth to my spirit and though it twas not my blood family, I felt blessed to be a part of teh mix.

From Grandma, to my best friends mom, who had always been one of my heroes and a true representative of that fighting J'can woman, who raised 6 kids without much support from their father, a woman who one would be remiss not to say well done to. I was happy to just lyme away the night watching the light shine brightly in every child's eye, untarnished by the harsh realities of life....in listening to their shrieks or giggles as they tried to eat the snow cone faster than it could melt..failing ultimately, I was reminded of a better time, a time where your trust was unwavering and the only cares you had was waking up in the morning...Youth, oh how sweet.

My only regret, as I saw little Jordan join in the fun, was that we were one less, and I reminisced as my friend's brother treated the crowd to a head top dance, living up to the good vibes we had gotten accustomed to seeing from him and Ratty at these family gatherings...We were one less, and I think it hit home to everyone as there was silence from most of the adults as Demarco's"Fallen soldier" began to play in the background.

Live, love and enjoy life fully, we only get one go round.

No comments: