Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Loss

Last week I learnt a valuable lesson, how to forgive someone I didn't even know, and how to pray for God's richest blessings to fall upon their lives.

On Thursday I got home late, and its funny I spent a wonderful evening chatting away with a bredren, eating Cheetos and drinking water. When I got through the door I noticed that my dresser drawers were open.....being older however and knowing the loss of memory that occurs at this age, I wondered whether I had been the one who'd left them open...unlikely, but still I wondered. As I removed my earrings and chain, a routine action for me as soon as I get in teh door, I was alarmed at the empty clanking sound they made against the ceramic jewelry chest...huh???? Looking down to see the lone pieces swim around in the container I got cross, angry and scared....I was robbed.

I played the morning over in my mind including the decision not to wear a particular piece cause it didn't fit my outfit...I thought long and hard but I couldn't recall not securing the place before I left.....darn....as I reasoned away the reality of the robbery with the fact that the radio, HDTV birthday gift I'd given myself and the $9000 which was hidden under the innards of the Bath and Body Works gift set on the dresser were still there, something deep down still yelled...I've been robbed....But how? There was no sign of forced entry.

I accepted my reality relatively quickly and began to thank the Lord that it wasn't worse....that I had been spared, that they weren't still in the house:0) I opened my mind to the thought that material things did not matter in this life and that the Lord gives and takes away.

I had a restless night but I slept and awoke to a bright beautiful day.....as I dressed for work however I couldn't help but lament the loss of one piece in particular, a gold chain my mother had given me for finishing my degree at UWI...one of the last things she gave me before she died.....tears came to my eyes.

Losing something precious in sentiment like that was hard, and in the days that followed I prayed for peace. On Saturday I called out for God to bless the person(s) who'd done it. I prayed that they be increased beyond their wildest imaginings. I thanked God for giving me the opportunity to give to them in that way, cause if that was what it took to feed my brother for a coupla days, then so be it.

Sometimes when life happens we let anger take over and miss the lesson....I could've chosen to carry my rage with me like a banner, but instead I felt it better to ask for divine help in dealing with the matter....I'm glad I did, and though from time to time my heart breaks when I think about that necklace, I am strengthened by God's grace and I let it go.

Give thanks continually for it could always be worse.

No comments: