Friday, September 18, 2009

Melancholy

Sometimes the circumstances of life overwhelm, discourage, and ravage your spirit sufficient to let you border on questioning the Big Man.....As I walked into my Office this morning the friendly groundsman on whom I can always rely for a smile, gave me a bright good morning and a note that "life goes on"...how true it is too.

Yesterday I got bad news about my best friend's adopted brother...he died. 37 yrs old, leaving wife, son (18mths) and other son (9 yrs old).....a heavy drinker and all round good time guy, no saint by any stretch of the imagination, a non-smoker, diagnosed with lung cancer three months prior. When I heard of his illness I bowed my head and lifted my voice, hands and soul in prayer for him to survive cancer, to not be stripped of the joy of watching his children grow and transform into men, the way I watched him. I prayed that the Lord would show me through him the strength of my mustard seed faith, I prayed hard and long.

Technically, it wasn't the cancer that got him in the end but a chest infection brought on by the macho facade of the Jamaican male which convinced him that though having undergone surgery less than 6 weeks ago to remove the affected lung, and bolstered no doubt by the Drs determination that he didn't even need radiation treatment, he could chance a run to the car in light rain with it not penetrating his superman shroud. He was wrong. Now two boys are left to remember their father through pictures in a family album.

I must admit my faith was shaken and I even possible was cross to think that I trusted God to deliver him from cancer and this was result. I was broken and I prayed and asked why? Was my prayer found wanting in some way, was I not specific enough? WHY? Then a friend whispered to me that"...God answers prayers according to his will."...so I have concluded that he did answer my prayer and delivered the yout from the clutches of cancer but there was other business between them that I could not have foreseen and rebuked.

Life Goes on, according to the will of God, we are powerless in the game......RIP "Ratty" beloved father, husband, brother, bredren.

I am happy today is Friday, and that tomorrow will close this week's chapter of death.....RIP Trevor Rhone as well...I remember badly acting out a scene from Old Story time for literature class in 4th form...A true representative of the spirit of Jamaica is no more.

I wish for all who read this a blessing today and forever more...life is too fleeting for us to take lightly, give your lives to the Lord before its too late and love and live fully for you know not his plan for your life.

4 comments:

Rae said...

Thanks for this one.

When I read your question about prayer, one I had many times, I remembered this...

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Xo4oa-iIk&feature=PlayList&p=145042C0293FD530&index=6
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBReFSb4Cq4&feature=related

skattashot said...

Emancipated...link me. I need to ask a ? or two about "Ratty". I think I may know him.

Unknown said...

That is sad, to overcome such a terrible disease to die from an infection. Life is so unexpected and short.

Emanicipated? said...

Thanks all. I'm comforted now by the fact that in life there is death and I can only hope my bredren made his peace with God before transitioning...still hurts though:(

@skatta...nice name BTW...Link me at creative_nj2@yahoo.com