Monday, November 29, 2010

A Good Soul

I believe the Lord puts people in your life for specific purposes….My Primary School teacher, Mrs. Thomas, was one such. She was an institution unto herself, a tower of strength at her 5ft 4inches, a mind filled with all the world’s knowledge (I thought at the time),the fastest draw in the East with a leather strap and an unfailing spirit of kindness.

I was fortunate to have been one of the many subjects under her tutelage since grade 1 and formed a connection, though unwelcomed sometimes. Over time, however I grew to appreciate her uncompromising style which was borne out of her yearning to see each one of us excel beyond hers and our imaginings. Yes, overtime I began to realize that this woman was a droplet from heaven…afterall, only an angel could open my dusty mind to the rudiments of mathematics and actually make some of it stick.

My ‘fortunateness’ lasted over 4 years in her private lesson class and I can scant remember any bad moments really. Instead, I have two vivid memories of this imparter of knowledge….one where she was responsible for the worse arsing I’d ever received (personally mi feel she never haffi talk bout the private lesson I was missing with Ms. Lewis, her stand in while she vacationed. I strongly feel she did me wrong by reporting my absence to my mother one Sunday on her way to church…that day I learnt the ‘value’ of the community approach to child rearing).
My second memory is much better and has been the light house to which I’ve clung for the better part of my adult life. On a day in a week where there seemed to have been a disconnection from God’s grace in every part of my 11 yr old life, I walked home from the bus stop noting every crack in the sidewalk and the tip of my shoes… “Lift your head and walk proudly child”….her voice echoed through my mire and I smiled…”Good evening Mrs. Thomas” I replied.

T’were words for strong, focused living.

A month or two ago I swung by her home, having heard she was ill....prepared to see the strong tower, though by now she would be 90 ish….She didn’t remember me. My prayers go up for her still and I thank God that she knew me then and chose not to shirk from the responsibility of encouraging a yout’.

The good one does will always live on.

No comments: